Re: Undeprecate GtkAlignment ?

Hi;

On 4 June 2015 at 09:54, Oscar Lazzarino <oscar.lazzarino@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/06/2015 01:38, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
>>
>> Hi;
>> [..]
>> To be fair, it's high time people started writing their layout
>> managers as well, instead of just having GTK provide them; this way,
>> if they get included inside GTK, we'll all have a good grasp on their
>> use, scope, and constraints, before committing to API stability.
>>

> I tried that (a looong time ago, on GTK 2.4) and eventually all I did was
> extending GtkTable and rewriting gtk_widget_size_allocate.

I do hope you realize that comparing an attempt made (almost
literally) 10 years ago is going to be fairly different from one made
now.

> At the time there was no tutorial, no decent documentation on how to write a
> layout manager, no examples aside the (quite complicated) source of GtkTable
> and the likes. In the end I still don't know if I did everything "in the
> right way", but it works, so I guess it's fine (at least for our purposes).
>
> Is the situation still the same? I can see why most people prefer to use the
> standard layout containers rather than implementing their own...

No, the documentation is not the same.

You can read the API reference:

  https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWidget.html
  https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkContainer.html

And the wiki:

  https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/CustomWidgets

If something is not clear, you can file bugs against the
documentation; those are routinely fixed very quickly.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io