Re: Multithreaded application freezing

Den 2015-02-05 18:46, Jasper St. Pierre skrev:

> You can still deadlock with two different processes (getting your
> protocol marshalling into a state where both processes are waiting
> for an RPC reply from the other), and we've seen it with DBus
> interfaces before.

Yes. You have to have a good protocol and include "commands" like
|reset| |restart| |begin| etc.

 > Really, the ability to not hang relies on careful engineering and
> understanding the tradeoffs of your system.

It always ends upp in designing a good state machine.

> Having two socket connections to the X server isn't magical, and if
> one processes hangs, then one window of your two-window application
> is broken. To a typical user, that's just as good as the entire thing
> hanging.

Yes. You have to make a a good design.

> And when the window that's still alive tries to make RPC to the hung
> processes, well, now your entire application is toast.

No No No. This NEVER happens the way I program. In the worst case you
have to reset the state machine in the other program with a |restart|
and then you are back in buissines again.

/gh

--
Göran Hasse
Raditex Control AB