Re: Who knows ANYTHING about broadway / HTML5 backend?

On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 08:55 +0100, Tarnyko wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I guess that if I wanted it to work in its current state, I would have a CGI
> (or other) app handling authentication, and if successful spawning the GTK+
> application on a new IP port and redirecting the user to this port.
>
> Subsequent connections to this IP port should be protected by some web
> server magic (reading a password database).
>
> But I agree that it would be nice if such a feature was supported
> out-of-the-box.

I've done a lot of reading on this subject in the last few weeks
(being that I don't exactly have a web background), it would seem
that such an out-of-the-box solution would be unrealistic - given
the stateless nature of HTTP and the ever-evolving state of the
art in web security and authentication (you have various forms
of authentication with various tradeoffs you would make for different
types of web sites/services).

But I would be really interested in understanding how this backend
works, perhaps one could run the web server with libsoup and perform
authentication there, passing a session identifier directly to the
broadway backend - routing all traffic relevant to that given session
to the appropriate application UI instance (perhaps one
GtkApplicationWindow could be used for each active session ?
and a special GtkWindow could be used for any unauthenticated user,
just to display a splash / login page ?).

Somehow I think using a separate port for each active session is
unrealistic (what if you have many active sessions, can you really
just allocate that many ports ?).

Anyway, I'm no expert in web/http but learning about it, and would
be really interested in a solution for this as well... perhaps I will
dig into this in the coming months.

Cheers,
    -Tristan