Transparent treeview background

Hi, I already posted this on the PyGTK mailing list with no responses. Maybe this is the better list to ask:

I'm trying to create a TreeView that does not draw a background but only the row contents (i.e. the text). Doing
tree.window.set_back_pixmap(pixmap, False)
tree.window.shape_combine_mask(mask, 0, 0)
only makes the whole TreeView area transparent (in areas where I set pixmap's alpha to black). How can I make only the background transparent?

Best regards
    Andreas