RE: Opening a background window in a separate thread

> -----Original Message-----> From: Mike Massonnet> > "Ian Puleston" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a �crit :> > > > What I want to do is to open a "help" window that the user can keep> > > open while they are working in the main app window. > > You have to set proper window flags on the dialog.  It must not be set> as modal, see [1] for this.
In fact I don't create my current help window as a modal dialog window but I do use gtk_dialog_run() which effectively makes it modal since the main thread is not processing events from the top level window while in there.
So the next question becomes how to run a non-modal dialog window without using gtk_dialog_run(). The GtkDialog documentation hints that it's not necessary to use gtk_dialog_run() but doesn't say what the alternative is. I tried simply creating and showing the dialog window (with just the one option - GTK_DIALOG_DESTROY_WITH_PARENT) and then letting the thread return to the main loop. But with this I find that although the main window does respond to mouse clicks, it stays behind the dialog window while that is open. Is there something that I need to do to bring it to the front when its clicked on?
Ian