Re: bug(s) in all-in-one bundle?

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>> the gladewin32 package had the file
>> C:\GTK\etc\gtk-2.0\gtkrc while the all-in-one bundle does not.  I copied
>> that one line file to the all-in-one bundle and it worked.  The font
>> problem was solved.
>
> What was the contents of the gtkrc file that solved your (perceived) problem?
sorry, I forgot to mention
gtk-theme-name = "MS-Windows"

> a gtkrc file. Of course, different people expect different things.
sure, I expect it to "work" :-)

> Some expect the ms-windows theme engine to be used by default, and
I didn't know it but I guess that might be what I was expecting.

> What instructions? ;)
I suspected

> I am afraid I must again use the term "is expected" that seemed to
> upset some people last time... The Win32 binaries for the GTK+ stack
Don't worry, I won't get upset.  I can't afford to annoy those from whom
I am trying to get help anyway.

> on ftp.gnome.org "are expected" to be used by people who develop GTK+
> applications and/or bundle GTK+ with installers for applications. Just
That would be me, or at least I hope to do that.

> like people who package GTK+ for various Linux distros, they are
> expected to know about gtkrc files and the kind of things one can
I really do hope to learn that stuff but please understand it is hard
to just know all that when one is just getting started.

> change by providing such a file. If they don't, well, it shouldn't be
> that hard to find people who can give advice.
I haven't been all that lucky.

> This is as intended. There is no need for that oddly named folder to
> actually exist on the machine where this GTK+ build is used, and there
This is interesting

> file would have said prefix=g:/foo/bar/tem instead.  Again. this works
> only if the directory structure has been kept intact, and files and
> folders from the zipfile package not moved around relative to each
> others after unzipping.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I did a little experiment with the .pc files and with those two files
in C:\GTK\etc\gtk-2.0.  I found that GTK still worked, Glade worked
and so did pkg-config

So, I guess there aren't any bugs with the files discussed.  It does
seem to me that there really is a need for a README file.  Perhaps as a
minimum, the README should have
1. upzip bundle to desired location (something like c:\GTK)
2. PATH and environment variable stuff
3. optional create file C:\GTK\etc\gtk-2.0\gtkrc
	 gtk-theme-name = "MS-Windows"

4. Test.  maybe a simple app with compile instructions?

Damon Register