Is "old" Combo broken

I'm trying to use some old code using "old" combo widgets, i.e.
GtkCombo, not GtkComboBox. It doesn't work very well. If I do some sort
of interaction with the pulldown lists, then close my window, I get the
message:

GLib-GObject:invalid uninstantiatable type `<invalid>' in cast to `GdkWindow'

Then a segfault. This is with Gtk version 2.12.5 on win32. The problem
does not occur on Linux Gtk 2.10.4 (I haven't tried any newer versions
under Linux yet.)

So, is something wrong with the support for old-style combos, or may I
be using them wrong? That's hard to tell without an example, I know, but
does anyone know if there has been a change that may have broken the
support, or if there is some issue with the Windows implementation that
may explain this?

- Toralf