Behaviour of GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_CREATE_FOLDER?

How exactly is the file chooser expected to behave when the "file
chooser action" is set to GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_CREATE_FOLDER?

I thought I would get more or less exactly the same operation as for
|GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SAVE, except that plain files would be hidden
or "grayed out", but based on some tests (using Gtk+ 2.12.5), it seems
like it's not quite like that. In particular, I seems like the file
chooser will go ahead and create the directory on it's own, and also
refrain from calling my "response" signal handler, if I type in the name
of a new directory and press the "open" button in a FileChooserDialog.
(Where the "open" button has response type GTK_RESPONSE_OK, which is
also the default response.)|

|Can anyone explain more about this?

- Toralf