wallpaper howto ?

Hi,

I have a simple gtk application which will show syslog on a Gtk widget.
And I want to make this simple application run as an "active"
wallpaper so it will
show the message as part of the desktop background.

I never played with desktop background before ... checking Gtk's
manual doesn't find
anything  useful yet.

Does anyone has similar thing like this ?  A simple "hello world"
style example will
be appreciated.  Or simple share me how to access/change desktop background by
using Gtk, so I know where to start.   Thanks a lot.

Regards
KC