Changing the foreground colour of combo boxes

Hi,

My program runs on a device on which it is very hard to see the current
selected widget. I therefore wrote to functions
"on_button_focus_in_event" and "on_button_focus_out_event" that set or
reset the background color ( gtk_widget_modify_bg( widget,
GTK_STATE_NORMAL, &color_active )  and gtk_widget_modify_bg( widget,
GTK_STATE_NORMAL, NULL ) respectively ) and attached these callbacks to
my buttons.

I tried the same trick with the combo boxes but the background does not
change.

Anybody got any suggestions how I can change the color of a combo box
when it gets the focus?

Thanks in advance

Alwin