How to simulate full window (manager) close-button behaviour?

This is something I've wondered about for a long time. Or maybe I solved
the problem once, but I can't find the code now:

Is there a simple way to tell Gtk to do exactly what it would do when if
the user pressed the window (window manager) close button, when working
with a Window widget?

I mean, usually gtk_widget_destroy() or gtk_widget_hide() will be called
as part of the handling, but those functions are not what I'm looking
for; I also want to execute the full event handler "chain" that may lead
to these calls as well as other tests or whatever that are part of the
full close behaviour.

Help, anyone?

- Toralf