Re: Strange behaviour with scim

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 23:59 +0200, Gerrit Sangel wrote:> Hello list,> > I am using Abiword, Inkscape and Gimp as GTK programs and I input Japanese and > Chinese with scim.> > I switched the input module with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim to scim and this works > fine, but the problem is the following:> > Because Japanese and Chinese need to modify the entered string, usually a pop > up box appears where the user can choose the desired character. But in > Inkscape and Abiword, and partly in GIMP, the problem is, that the entered > character do not appear “on the spot”. > > I made a screenshot to illustrate the issue:> > http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1135/scimgm1.jpg> > The correct behaviour should be that the “こんば” appears right after the |, just > like any other Text you're typing and the drop box with the Kanji characters > should appear below the text.> > It is odd that this works perfectly in Firefox. But it is almost unusable in > Inkscape and Abiword, because you don't know where this box will > appear and you can’t concentrate on typing. I already wrote to the Inkscape > mailing list, but they don't know anything about it, and because it also > appears in Abiword, I think this could be a GTK issue.
None of those three apps use Gtk+ text widgets...  So it's their ownbugs.  Test with gedit, if it works, it's most probably not a Gtk+ bug.AbiWord and Inkscape both get the glyphs out of Pango/Gtk+ and renderthemselves.  So they don't quite hint Gtk+ where the IM box should bepositioned, something like that...

> In Inkscape, the same behaviour also appears on my Windows system.> > Does someone know how to solve this problem? I think these behaviours would > make these programmes almost unsuable to people in China, Japan or Korea.> > > Thanks> Gerrit Sangel> _______________________________________________> gtk-list mailing list> gtk-list@xxxxxxxxx> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-list-- behdadhttp://behdad.org/
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759