Re: gtk or pygtk

On 6/14/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 15:44 -0300, Alexandre Moreira wrote:
>
> > Exactly. If you can keep up with the weird syntax and understand what
> > is going on with pointer-intensive C code, I guess you'll do pretty
> > well with C Gtk+. I like it better than other bindings, but that is a
> > matter of taste.
> >
> > I believe you should check other options too, Gtkmm seems to be pretty
> > good for C++ programmers and I heard good things of Gtk# if you don't
> > mind using the Mono runtime.
> >
> > That said, keep in mind that the amount of code needed to write basic
> > stuff in C Gtk+ is pretty big, so you would be happy to write or have
> > a few boiler-plate generator scripts (take a look at GOB2 and spuug).

Yeah, the problem is I usually write Gtk+ based files in a pure OO
design (I often do lots of UML modelling before writing code) so I
need to write a ton of GObject classes.

> libglade is very nice to reduce boiler-plate C code.  Actually I use
> libglade in all my languages, which right now are C, C++, Python, and
> C#.
>
> If you want to make your own gobject-based class files, either for your
> own purposes or to extend a Gtk Widget, GOB2 is nice.  Another thing to
> check out is vala[1].  vala is getting more and more useful at building
> Gobject-based code using a language that's very much like c#, but
> compiles directly to C code, allowing your classes to be trivially
> wrapped and used in any language that has GTK bindings.

Vala is just great. I just with the guys (Jürg and the others) had
more support from the rest of the Gtk+ community. I think this would
be a great addition to the Gtk+/Gnome development platform. I've been
following their development for the last 6 months and I just love
it... I disagree with a few things here and there and normally write
pure C files just because I'm used to it. People really should take a
look at it.