Re: Gtk2 Win32 setup problem ...

Hi Tor,

Thanks for the info.

On 5/20/07, Tor Lillqvist <tml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Kuang-Chun Cheng writes on gtk-list:
>  > I can't find any document related to Pango's setup and the format of
>  > pango.aliases ... could someone tell me where can I find such document ?
>
> Read the source code?
>
>  > Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon for stock:
>  > Failed to open file '': No such file or directory
>  > GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT(object)' failed
>  >
>  > and the application crash.
>
> Is this with trunk GTK+? There has been changes related to the stock
> icon code in trunk, and I get some warnings about some icons, too, in
> trunk when running gtk-demo's stock item browser.. The stock icon
> stuff is a bit of a mystery to me, and I really don't understand how
> it works.

I'm currently using gtk+-2.10.4, not the code in trunk.

>  > Well, the same examples run smoothly under native Linux, so I
>  > expect that it's my setup problem under Win32.  Again, I can't find
>  > enough information describe Gtk2's setup.  Where is Gtk2's stock
>  > icon ?
>
> Again, I fear the best (only?) description of how this is supposed to
> work is the source code...
>
>  > I build all the packages from libiconv, gettext, glib ... gtk2
>  > under Linux from scratch instead of using pre-build binaries which
>  > could be found on Tor Lillqvist's web site.
>
> This message is much better suited for the gtk-devel-list list. If you
> read that, you will notice that Alberto Ruiz also is right now also
> working on the same thing (cross-building GTK+ and everything it
> depends on). Please join that list and follow up there.

OK, I already subscribe to gtk-devel-list ...

> Did you manage to get libintl (gettext-runtime) actually working?
> Alberto Ruiz had probems with that.

I use gettext-0.16.1 but I did not fully test it ... but I'm sure I can display
Chinese on Gtk2's button ... does that means gettext works ?

> The situation with GNU libintl on Windows is a bit of a mess. I
> distribute gettext-runtime 0.14.5 binaries compiled with MSVC (because
> MSVC used to be the officially endorsed way to build gettext on
> Windows), and they work. The name for the libintl (gettext-runtime)
> DLL in such a build is intl.dll.
>
> Now, in the current gettext sources support for MSVC has been
> dropped. One is supposed to use the autofoo mechanism (and de facto
> thus gcc) also on Windows. (No problem with that as such, gcc is what
> I use for everything else, but read on.)
>
> That means that without additional (minor?) hackery, libtool will
> produce a DLL called libintl-0.dll or something like that. That is a
> problem, because the libintl API and ABI has not changed incompatibly
> as far as I know. Unless one wants to force all dependees to be
> relinked one should produce a DLL with the same DLL name as earlier,
> intl.dll, also when building a current gettext-runtime.
>
> And then there is the mystery how autofoo decides where to install the
> message catalogs (mo files). For some reason, for me the autofoo in
> glib, gtk+ etc has always decided that they belong under
> "lib/locale/*", as if the mo format was platform dependent. On Linux,
> the same GNU gettext message catalogs are installed under
> "share/locale/*", indicating they are platform independent. What goes
> on? This is a mess that should be thoroughly investigated.
>
> The same situation as for libintl also holds for libiconv, BTW.
>
> It would be somewhat unfortunate if people start distributing builds
> of GTK+, for instance, that use the same name for the GTK+ DLLs, but
> still require differently named libintl or libiconv DLLs.
>
> --tml

I'm re-organizing my note about building gtk2 ... just need one or two
more days and I will put them on my web site.  Let's discuss that after I
have something which we can reference.  See you in gtk-devel-list later.

Best Regards
KC