Treeview dnd with sorted treestore

For my application I would like to change the default drag and drop
(dnd) behaviour of the treeview. I need a behaviour that is similar to
the nautilus file treeview. This treeview can be sorted by clicking on
the column headers and you can only drop a row into another one (but not
between two rows), and the inserted row is automatically sorted.

But by default, the treeview disables dnd if the model is sorted and it
also allows to drop rows between two other rows (and thus specifying the
exact drop location, which is of course mutually exclusive with the
sorting). How can I allow only dropping into another row?

Can this be done with the high level dnd api? Or is the low level api
the only way to do this? But I don't want to loose all the features like
hover-to-open and auto-scroll.