Creating a Modal Dialog from a Routine Called by g_idle_add()

I've run into a problem with my current project and I'm having difficulty
finding the cause.  I'm sure the problem is because of a lack of
understanding on my part concerning GTK.  I'm hoping someone here can prod
me in the right direction.

I have a routine called by g_idle_add() which updates the contents of an
already-existing modal dialog with data received from a server software.
This routine gets called continually until the data from the server
ceases.  Certain data which is received causes a new modal dialog to be
created which looks for user input.

Things work fine until a new modal dialog needs to be created.  The dialog
is created fine and the user input is accepted fine, but I cannot destroy
the new modal dialog.  And at this point the routine is not called again
by g_idle_add().  The program hangs, and the only thing I can do is kill
the new modal dialog which in turn kills the whole program.

Can someone clue me in to what might be going on?

--
Marshall Lake -- mlake@xxxxxxxxx -- http://mlake.net