Re: GTK help for newbie noob

Hey,

This is the opinion of a fellow newb, but I think it may help.

Looking at GTK as it if were C can be very confusing, because GTK
doesn't make much sense from a pure-C perspective. GTK is a pseudo-OO
language, so thinking of the syntax as a very mangled form of Python
or C++ may help.

So a call such as (from the GTK tutorial: http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/c39.html)

Can be thought of as an object creator. A signal:

g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (window), "delete_event",
		      G_CALLBACK (delete_event), NULL);

Is sort of like a dynamic method creator. Give the object (window) a
new method that activates on a "delete_event" and calls the function
delete_event.

You said:

> I am trying to work my way through the pygtk tutorial but I feel like I am
> just memorizing bit and pieces of information without understand the
> underlying rules.

Honestly, that's fine. As you memorize bits and pieces, the underlying
rules will start to come into focus. You'll start to see patterns, and
once you know a few patterns you'll be able to look at something
unfamiliar and say, "We'll, I know what this bit means, and this looks
like that other thing." Anything you still don't recognize is just an
API document away.

That's my two cents.

-Adam