Re: Large strings in GtkTextView

Micah Carrick wrote:
> Andrew Sobala wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I just tried to load a ~200 kb string into GtkTextView, and there are
>> bugs in the viewing of the string. The most noticeable is that when
>> you try to scroll, the text disappears and/or overlaps.
>>
>> Is GtkTextView completely unsuitable for viewing large amounts of
>> text? Is there an alternative?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> I've loaded apache logs into a GtkTextView that were over 50 megs and
> had no trouble at all. What is the code you're using to load the textview?

Hmm, gtk_text_view_new, gtk_text_buffer_new, gtk_text_buffer_set_text,
gtk_text_view_set_buffer. The code's a bit scattered.

I should have mentioned, this is one long line of text (there are no
linebreaks) which is probably the reason. I can whip up a testcase
tomorrow (if that's actually useful), but I think you'll reproduce it by
simply trying to load 200k of text into a single line.

--
Andrew