emulating a button click by software

Hello,

I am trying to emulate a button click by software. The idea is that I
have an application that reacts when a button-like (toggle_button,
radio_button) widget is clicked, and I would like to make it believe
that one of those buttons have been clicked. I've tried with
gtk_button_toggle() with a radio button (also with
gtk_button_clicked() to see whether that was triggering something
else) but to no avail. The program reacts to the signal, but the
widget stays the same, that is the radio button does not change on the
window. How can I do that ?

Regards,

Carlos