Re: GTK static compile

On 11/23/06, getik too <getik2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was told that compiling statically will enable my gtk program to run on any
> system with the same OS as the original compiling OS whether or not GTK is
> present.
> I tried this by typing gcc -static -o outputfile file.c `pkg-config --cflags
> --libs gtk+-2.0` and I got this error
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk-x11-2.0
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> What do I do now.  I read a suggestion that I look for static libraries of
> GTK which are not installed automatically.  If this is true how can I check
> if I do have these static libraries and if I dont where do I get them and how
> do I install them.
Static libraries come in "*.a" archives, you may try to search for
them in your current distro. There may be another possible problems
with a static linking, not only technical (like LGPL license that
requires the possibility to relink with different libraries version)

> If there is another way to get my app to run on a computer that does not have
> GTK or maybe an earlier version than that used for my app let me know thanks.
You can provide dynamic GTK binaries with your program and use smth
like LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to them.

   Olexiy