Widget reordering question

Hi,

I have a question regarding GTK's widget ordering control. I was wondering
about a containter that carries multiple widgets in the same level in the
hierarchy (GtkLayout is a good example for that) which then draws its
children (that may overlap each other) in z-order (as they are defined in
the X server).

However, how do I perform something like "move to top"/"bring to front"? I
sometimes want to change the order of the z-ordered child widgets in order
to display different overlapping patterns.

Is there some way to do that? Surely I'm not the first person to ask about
that, and yet I was unable to find any reference to such a question.

I'd appreciate anyone who could enlighten me as to how this can be
performed.

Thanks,
      Sefer.