Re: variables

On Aug 14, 2006, at 2:37 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> [...]

It builds shared libraries by default.

>> Now, where the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or LIBRARIES_PATH - is that a typo,
>> or does your distro use a name other than the one used by Debian?)
>> variable comes in:  several of the gtk-related packages do a check to
>> make sure the necessary libraries can not only be linked against, but
>> also found by the dynamic linker at run time, by compiling and
>> running a test program.  If this is the stage where configure is
>> failing (some output from configure would be useful in determining
>> that), then setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the lib directory where the
>> glib libraries are located should allow ATK to finish configuring.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Michael
>
>     The test program(s) compile but they do not run. You mentioned
> changes
> made to configure script. I don't have either autoconf or automake
> installed. Maybe I better install them.

Which means that it can't find the shared libraries at run time.  Try
setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the $PREFIX/lib directory
where glib's shared libraries are.  Running `ldconfig /path/to/glib/
lib` may help also.

Also, you don't need to edit configure at all - I merely ment that it
would be helpful for debugging if you posted the output from
configure (or at least the relevant error messages) for us to read.

- Michael