Re: Scrolling performance

On Jul 6, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Roo wrote:

>>> Ok, so presumably there's a way to take gtk2-2.8.19-2.src.rpm (the
>>> currently installed GTK2 on my FC5 system) and recompile it (or is
>>> there an env var?) telling it not to use Cairo so I can see if
>>> there's
>>> a difference and hence narrow things down.
>>
>> Looking at configure.in in the GTK2.8 sources, it appears that there
>> is
>> no way to disable cairo.
>
> Right... so the GTK developers left normal users without the ability to
> compare it directly. That makes a lot of sense if they wanted to find
> out
> the real facts and figures behind Cairo...

Or maybe they just don't want to maintain two different sets of drawing
code for every widget.

>> I'd try cutting any non-default themes out first.  And it looks like
>> Cairo can't be removed, for better or worse.
>
> I don't think that's acceptable at all. Cairo pretty obviously has
> major
> performance problems (even if you accept that it is only on some
> cards),
> and the GTK developers forced everyone to use it without even a
> fallback.

But allowing Cairo to be removed would probably require the GTK devs to
maintain two versions of the drawing code for every widget.  Which is a
significant hinderance to forward progress, makes maintenance a
nightmare, and in general is not a good thing.

Whatever the full reasoning, I'm convinced the GTK developers are not
out to deliberately condemn all users to poor performance.

>> Profile.  What happens if you build Cairo, GTK and GTKperf or gtk-demo
>> or something with profiling enabled, and look at the profiling data?
>> Where are GTK and Cairo spending their time?
>
> But with what am I comparing it? I *know* it wasn't this bad with FC4
> (pre-Cairo), but the GTK developers have removed the option of testing
> that without wiping the box. I'm sure you can see the utter frustration
> involved here. No wonder performance problems never get fixed. The GTK
> developers seem to go to great lengths to ensure that reports are very
> ignorable.

You're comparing it with itself.  If the profiler reports that GTK is
consistently spending 75% of its time in Cairo, then yeah, Cairo (or at
least the manner in which GTK uses Cairo) is a problem.  But if it
spends 5% of its time in Cairo, and 60% of its time grooming a cat,
then the problem is most likely elsewhere.

- Michael