Not understanding the principles of drawing areas and primitives etc...

I want to be able to draw lines on a gtkDrawingArea, with a color the user selects (r,g,b),
however I don't understand how I would do.
The whole business with gdkGC's and gdcColors seems very alien. If somebody could
point me to a tutorial (the scribble one isn't enough since that one doesn't use color).

What I simply want to do is something like line(gtkDrawingArea* da, int x1, int y1, int x2, int y2, r, g, b)