Re: gtk, cairo, glitz, luminocity, what's their relation?

Hi  writser,

Wonderful questions ... but , although GTK and Cairo are closed
related, probaly you we get more anwsers on the official Cairo Project
mail list ...  "cairo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" ...

or not ... there are people in this mail list that "know everything" :) ....

Regards ...

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:02:01 +0200 (CEST), writser@xxxxxxxxx
<writser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've read a lot lately about the future of gtk+/gnome. Things look very
> promising. There is one thing I don't understand though. Cairo is able to
> render scalable widgets using vector graphics. Glitz is a backend that
> provides openGL acceleration for Cairo. So if I'm not mistaken, an OpenGL
> accelerated window is drawn this way: gtk -> cairo -> glitz. But where
> does the window manager do it's work? A new windowmanager, luminocity, is
> in development. It provides OpenGL acceleration too. But using a Xgl
> backend, afaik. But then what's the connection between glitz and
> luminocity? Does glitz draw to the screen? Or does it only create textures
> that are used by luminocity. And if so, then why do both glitz and
> luminocity have opengl acceleration? Or is glitz just a temporary
> solution.. I'd be glad if someone could clear things up :D

Antonio Gomes
E-mail: antonio.gomes@xxxxxxxxxxx
Embedded Linux Lab - 10LE
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia (Manaus/Br)
NOKIA's Technology Institute