How to register a window in GTK ?

Hi,

I am porting a application from MS Windows to linux using GTK.

Could you please tell me how can I register a window class in GTK, as I did not find anything for the same, like there is API RegisterClassEx in windows?

Also, does gtk_widget_show repaints its own window area, as I did not find function like windows UdateWindow().

Thanks and regards,
Dipak G Patil.