Re: Something Connects to the Internet

Ibrahim El-Shafei wrote:

From this I noticed that it tries to connect to something through the Internet if I'm connected. What is it?

While this is not exactly pertinent to this list, I might as well try answering it anyway.

It might be trying to lookup the hostname of your machine.
Connect to the internet and run
nslookup `hostname`
and see if that returns fast.

You can also try running those applications from console and see if they are printing any warnings.

Another thing you can try is running a packet sniffer like 'ethereal' to see what exactly is being sent out / received.