Non-blocking access to mouse events?

Hello all,

   I'm trying to add mouse support for Linux console software.
For my humble purposes,  I'd like to be able to access these
events without blocking;  i.e.,  "gpm,  have any mouse events
occurred since I last inquired?  If so,  what were they?"

   I am virtually certain this is a frequently asked question,
but my Google-fu appears to be inadequate to turn up an answer.

   Some background : I am the author/maintainer for PDCursesMod,
https://github.com/Bill-Gray/PDCursesMod . I recently added a
Linux framebuffer port so that one can write Curses applications
using full color and attributes and font control without
needing to have X.  But the mouse bits,  at least at present,
are defeating me.

Thank you,          -- Bill