Re: Gentoo QA Notice: "poor programming practices"

Hello Martin,

[full quote attached, because his mail was discarded by mailman]

Martin Walch [Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:17:01PM +0100]:
> When installing gpm on Gentoo, portage complains about a compiler warning with
> the newest gcc (4.3.3). A new warnings is occuring during compilation, that
> triggers additional QA warnings:
>
> > QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile fine
> > but exhibit random runtime failures.
> > prog/open_console.c:29: warning: implicit declaration of function 'open'
>
> > Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA issues
> > directly to the upstream developers of this software.
>
> So I send this report here as described in the README file. This is probably
> very easy to solve by inserting #include <fcntl.h> at the beginning of
> src/prog/open_console.c

That's already fixed in git:

http://git.schottelius.org/?p=gpm;a=blob;f=src/prog/open_console.c;h=d41d25a69d9c9317c07dec6f0b254e33c5b7b09c;hb=refs/heads/gpm-1-stable

> I do not write a personal mail, but on mailing list in order to reduce the
> risk for duplicates.

Hehe, great idea, sorry, got mailman to discard unknown senders due to spam overhead.

> btw: the host l.schottelius.org seems to be down (linked from
> http://linux.schottelius.org/gpm/)

Thanks for the hint, that's one of the last migration problems to the new server.

> and: http://nico.schottelius.org/about/support seems to be broken (this link
> is mentioned in doc/README.1.20.2)

and additional an OOM error...python/zope/plone just lose too much memory.
Fixed it for now.

Thanks for your report.

Nico

--
Think about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
http://nico.schottelius.org/documentations/foss/the-term-foss/

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42  F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C