Re: problems with git and AC_PACKAGE_VERSION

On Thursday 19 June 2008, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Mike Frysinger [Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 09:20:16PM -0400]:
> > current git fails to run autotools.
>
> Strangely no problem here, autogen runs without problems
> and mostly creates the correct output. I've
> version 2.61 here.

i'm using 2.62 myself

> > this is because .gitversion.m4 defines
> > AC_PACKAGE_VERSION to a date stamp, but the configure.ac does
> > AC_SUBST(AC_PACKAGE_VERSION).  since the former did a define() instead of
> > declaring it a shell variable, it becomes:
> > AC_SUBST(1.20.5 2008....)
> > which obviously fails
>
> You are absolutely right, the AC_SUBST call is a relict from my fight
> with autotools and is now removed as of commit 11fd4f6.

thanks

> > i dont know what the intention was here, so i'm not going to try and fix
> > it.
>
> To explain what happened:
> <snip>

the way i do this in my own packages is just sed the configure.ac file from
autogen.sh.  downside is that the field only gets updated when i run
autogen.sh, upside is i keep my sanity.  your method here though seems to
allow for automatic updates ... thanks for the details; i'll prob come back
to it when i try it in my own projects. ;)
-mike