Re: gpm 1.20.4 released

* Nico Schottelius <nico-gpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > changing SONAME's is a huge nightmare/hassle for distributions (and everyone
> > really), and should be avoided if possible
>
> Sorry for the breakage, the struct changed.

Well, if the (public) ABI changed, an different soname is the only
clean solution. Now you at least have a chance to let some tool
(eg. Gentoo's revdep-rebuild) look for breaks.

But please keep in mind: those changes require a great deal for
packaging/distro systems, at least on production systems.

For example, on Gentoo it takes a while from updating the package
(which removes the old library) through the revdep-rebuld process
until all clients have been rebuilt. This can produce big downtimes
with big harm (eg. mc is critical for me ;-P).

We shoud at least add some API and ABI signature to .pc files,
so an automatic packager/installer system can find out those
situations and maybe fix them by itself.

cu