Failed gpm connect attempt by uid XXXX

Some of the applications that try to run in my console window manager
(vwm.sourceforge.net) generate this warning message (and then some of
them terminate).

It seems pretty common
http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg84298.html

and at least one thread that I found indicates there is/should be a fix
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-dev/2002-August/001118.html

I would like to know what the "official" answer to this issue is from
someone who actively works on gpm.

I am running gpm 1.20.1 packaged in Fedora 8.

Thanks in advance to the person(s) who respond.

Bryan Christ