"extra" buttons

I have a mouse with forward and back internet buttons. I was wondering if
there was any way to use gpm to get those buttons to act as button 2 of
the mouse normally would. I can't get xev to register the button presses,
so I thought maybe using gpm could help. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks for any advice