graphic mode gpm question

hy! i'm a new linux programmer and for a few weeks i have a problem.
i asked about it on a lot of mailing lists, but nobody did answer me.
however i decided to ask my question on this mailing list. So here's my problem:
I wrote a program that works in a VESA mode, actually an object
oriented interface. But when it came for the mouse, i didn't know any
way to write a mouse support for it. I read some documentation on
Gpm, and i found out that while in graphics mode, the gpm server
stops sending events to the client and outputs the data in
"/dev/gpmdata" in a format specified by the mouse protocol.
Thus i tried over and over to read from this "/dev/gpmdata"
with "fread()" but it hanged there and i had to kill the
process. So i have no idea of how should i get and interpret the data
coming from Gpm.
	If you have some time for my problem and send me an answer
(or a code snippet), i would be very glad.
							 Zither