mouse with wheel

Hi,

I would like to develop a little prog that could be aware of the wheel event. I would like to avoid using Xfree and just stay with consoles.
As I read in the gpm info page, the maximum number of button supported is 3. Is there a way to bypass this limitation or somebody could point me to another solution ?

I would like to use basic ps/2 mouse with 3 buttons and a wheel.

Many thanks for your help.

--

       ( O O )