Re: Re: report

Alessandro Rubini [Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 10:38:18AM +0100]:

> > If I understood that correctly, if we want to exchange data
> > selected by gpm to X, we need to register gpm as an X program
> > and tell X we have the primary selection.
>
> I'd avoid that. As that would require gpm to be linked to X libraries.
> Besides, often gpm starts before X starts, so it can't connect. Well,
> it won't even know _which_ X server to connect to.

you are obviously right. The easier way of exchanging data would be
to let X pass the buffer to gpm. I don't think the people of Xfree
will implement that in X, but I could ask David for it..

> If you want to exchange selection with X, please use a separate
> application. Still, currently there's no user access to the selection
> buffer so you can't.

That's right. The data exchange between X and gpm is more a dream currently,
so we've time until we have access to the selection buffer.

> With current kenrels and current gpm mechanism.

That's totally correct. But perhaps someone is reading our mails and has
time to implement/change things...

> >> A visible effect of the server handing messages and not holding data
> >> is that if you select text in an xterm that then exists, you won't be
> >> able to paste that text any more.
> >
> > I just tested that and it seems that at least here that's not the case.
> > I exited the xterm and now I can paste text into this one.
>
> Same here. I was sure it didn't, but I stand corrected. Then I'm
> guessing how is that information transmitted.

I am gonna lookup the Xfree documentation some day, but currently there
are other issues I want to implement (for instance the reset of the mice,
when gpm exits)

Nico

--
Please send your messages pgp-signed and/or pgp-encrypted (don't encrypt mails