Using only the driver part of GPM

I have written a software running on an embedded system, using a 40x4
text LCD as screen. The user interface is operated by a remote control
which should provide the directions left/right/up/down. For this, a
(cordless) two-button mouse with a scroll-wheel suits perfectly, left
right mouse button maps to left/right and scroll-wheel to up/down.
Left/right is used for yes/no type of input and the scroll-wheel for
scrolling menus and increasing/decreasing values.

(the software: http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/almusvcu.html)

I currently use gpm for this, patched for mouse wheel support. The
problem is however that gpm is bound to a console, which is not used by
my software (it uses an LCD), so in order to get the embedded machine
to work, it must auto-login on startup and start the software directly
in the console. And, if I then change the console to work with
something else on the machine, the mouse input to my software of course
stops to work, since it is then assigned to the currently active
console.

I would like it to be that the software simply opens some local device
just to get mouse events from the mouse attached to the computer the
software runs on, and not need to bother with any console features. Is
this possible with gpm? If not, is there any other mouse driver system
I could use?

I have though about using /dev/gpmdata, like XFree86 can do, but I don't
know if that will work the way I want. I have also failed to find any
documentation on how to use /dev/gpmdata, and how to interpret the data
that comes there.

Any ideas?

/Anders