Re: Problems using synps2 ... Patch

> I'm using the stock 2.4.7 kernel shipped with RedHat 7.2.  I've tried
> upgrading to a newer kernel, but PCMCIA always quits working when I do.

If you are meaning 2.4.7 and not 2.4.17 I have found the
reason while looking in pc_keyb.c:

static inline void handle_mouse_event(unsigned char scancode)
{
        if (mouse_reply_expected) {
        }
        else if(scancode == AUX_RECONNECT){
                queue->head = queue->tail = 0;  /* Flush input queue */
                __aux_write_ack(AUX_ENABLE_DEV);  /* ping the mouse :) */
                return;
        }

So whenever the touchpad sends 0xAA (AUX_RECONNECT) the kernel flushes the
queue. Thats why you must press a button when starting gpm, because the
mouse identification doesnt reach gpm.

It also the reason for your problems while using the touchpad because the
touchpad can send 0xaa and will get out of sync afterwards.

> > >   o Inability to use the middle mouse button without using another
> > >     button first.  There is no additional debug output when the
> > >     debug options are defined.
> >
> > All the time or only the first time after stating gpm? (ok, I dont
> > have a clue what causes this)
>
> Only the first time after starting gpm.  After I press the left or right
> button or move the cursor the middle buttons work each time.

hmm, I dont believe the kernel version causes this.

Peter
--
E-Mail:       pebl@xxxxxxxxxx
Real name:    Peter Berg Larsen