Re: Problems using synps2 mouse type with Synaptics touch pad

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:

> I believe you have two problems: a) Some buttons dont work. b) Using
> absolut synaptics mode causes some problems.
>
> The sollution to a) is to use a newer version of gpm. (I would like to see
> the the extra information printed if this does not help).
>
> b) is usually caused by two mouse drivers reading psaux, like gpm and X.
> But you write that you tried repeater mode and it still does not work. I
> can think of five reasons: 1) there is a third program that reads psaux.
> 2) The synaptics absolut mode protocol is special for version 5.1. 3) a
> third mouse is connected to the psaux that have a bad influence when the
> synaptics is initalized. 4) some parameters/options have bad values. 5) It
> is a problem that a not linked to the synaptics touchpad, but a general
> problem with your gpm or system.
>
> Can you send some of the printed reports for the synaptics (stating with
> >>synps2: fg--r .. etc <<) while moving the mouse and while clicking on
> each button?
>

> Peter
> --
> E-Mail:       pebl@xxxxxxxxxx
> Real name:    Peter Berg Larsen
> Where:        Department of Computer Science, Copenhagen Uni., Denmark

I got gpm-1.20.1rc1 from ftp://arcana.linux.it/pub/gpm/ and compilied it.
Its much closer to working correctly :) but it isn't quite there yet :(.
Here's what works:

  Moving the cursor on the console (mostly)
  Moving the cursor in X (mostly)
  Left and right buttons
  Middle toggle button (mostly)

When I move the cursor on the console, occassionally, I'll get
"Unrecognized Synaptic PS/2 Touchpad packet" messages.  These seem to only
occur when I have my finger close to the edge, but even then I don't get
them all of the time.  It may be related to virtual scrolling support...

These messages don't seem to be too much of a problem on the console.
However, when I use gpm to move the cursor in X, it is prone to hanging.
It will move for a while, then it'll stop.  If I move my finger around for
a bit, or just wait, then I can use it again.  I'm not sure if this is
related to the "Unrecognized Synaptic PS/2 Touchpad packet" messages...

The left and right buttons seem to work perfectly.

The middle toggle button works almost perfectly - finally a real middle
button!  However, for some reason it don't get any middle button events
until I press the left or right button or move my finger on the touchpad.
Its almost like something doesn't get initialized at first.  After I
"kick-start" it, the middle toggle button works fine.

I have debug output for all of these events (left, right, up, and down
buttons, movement, and movement with "Unrecognized Synaptic PS/2 Touchpad
packet" messages).  Each file is ~8-17k, so I'll put copies on my website
(http://www.k-lug.org/~griswold/gpm/) instead of attaching them.

If there is anything else I can do to help, let me know.

--
Richard Griswold - griswold@xxxxxxx

There are only 10 types of people who understand binary -
  those who do and those who don't