Re: Configuring internal calls == direct, external calls == proxy?

Hi Robert,

see inline.

Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> I'd like to sanity check my configuration, and I'm getting confused. :(
>
> My internal video network is 10.244/16. Calls between endpoints on the
> internal network should have media go directly between endpoints.
>
> Any calls to the Internet should be proxied by GnuGK.
>
> I've configured
>
> [RoutedMode]
> GKRouted=1
>
> [Proxy]
> Enable=1
> InternalNetwork=10.244.0.0/16
>
> I'm confused by the wording in http://www.gnugk.org/gnugk-manual-5.html#proxy
>
> which refers to calls "in and out of the network"
>
> Would I use:
> [ModeSelection]
> 10.244.0.0/16=PROXY,ROUTED
>
> So that calls in and out (from/to the Internet) are proxied, but calls
> on 10.244/16 are direct?

That looks correct. All calls where only one party is inside
10.244.0.0/16 will be proxied and calls that stay within 10.244.0.0/16
will only be signal routed (and RTP goes direct).

You can't switch to "direct mode" (where GnuGk only sees RAS and Q.931
goes direct) using [ModeSelection].

> Where would H.245 routing be appropriate for internal calls?

I would always use H.245 routing: Is very little data so it doesn't
make any difference performance wise and it enables a few additional
GnuGk features (eg. codec filtering). Its also very handy when
debugging calls, because you'll see everything in the same trace file.

> Is there anything on the status port that allows me to see if a call
> is direct or proxied? (Other than running a sniffer and watching RTP
> packets being sent to/from the server?)

You can use "PrintCurrentCallsVerbose" or "!!" on the status port. The
last field of the ACF lines is the proxy mode.

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Willamowius, Founder of the GNU Gatekeeper Project
EMail  : jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Relaxed Communications GmbH
Frahmredder 91
22393 Hamburg