Re: Restricting ports?

Hi,

Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> From a security perspective, has anyone found reason to restrict the
> ports that GnuGk uses?  I'm assuming that opening UDP 1025-65535,
> TCP/1719 and TCP/1720 to the internet is all that's required for full
> functionality?

Opening UDP 1025-65535 basically means to turn off the firewall for
UDP, a lot of people won't feel comfortable with that.
But you will also need open TCP ports for H.245 if thats not tunneled.
1719 is also UDP, not TCP.

> Also, it appears that the status port (7000) binds to all interfaces.
> Is there a configuration switch to only allow it to bind to a
> particular interface or IP address?  In a dual-nic proxy situation, it
> would be better to not even listen to the external port, even with
> appropriate firewall rules in place.  I use multiple secondary
> addresses on my external NIC and each of them are listening to 1720
> and 7000.

Thats what Home= is for.

> Jan, would you consider a doc patch that details the ports and the
> traffic direction that needs to be configured for firewalls?
>
> Direction        TCP/UDP          port(s)         Purpose
> In                   TCP                 1720            Control port
> (etc)

Sure, I'd be happy if someone takes the time to document that. That
description should include how some config switches affect port usage:
- Home=
- xxxPortRange (Q931, H245, RTP, T120)
- RTPMultiplexing (new in 3.0 CVS to use just 2 UDP ports for all
  devices supporting H.460.19 multiplexing)

There is also a new feature [PortNotifications] where you can have
GnuGk run a script whenever it opens a new listen port. This clould for
example be used to dynamically open firewall ports. Also new is a
status port command "PrintCurrentCallsPorts" to display which dynamic
ports each call is using.

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Willamowius, Founder of the GNU Gatekeeper Project
EMail  : jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

RSA® Conference 2012
Save $700 by Nov 18
Register now!