Re: How do you read large logs?

Hi Jan,

I tend to disagree here; parsing multi-line logfiles using Perl Scripts is a very, very ugly task, especially if it has to be done over and over again by different people for different purposes and where number of lines and formats have some change over various versions. Of course, sample scripts could be provided, but I would tend to think that an alternative log "mode" would be a very useful enhancement to the server. Now, given compared to the Good Old Days™ neither number of files per directory or number of open file handles per process or per system really pose a resource or performance challenge anymore, a setup where one would specify a CallTraceDirectory path, and then, in this directory, one log file per call would be written, with a duplicate of all log messages related to the call, Robert's task would become substantially easier.

Files/Calls could still be organized by time (using the modification time stamp on the per-call logfile as the primary sort criteria) and call trace files could easily be aged out and deleted after a week or so using a simple "find -mtime" script.

Thoughts appreciated,
Florian.