Problem installing gnugk via make-install.

I have compiled gnugk using ./configure --prefix=$HOME, make opt

When I do make install it tries to install addpasswd and gnugk in /bin
instead of $HOME/bin,
( and fails due to permission errors, as it should, I want a local
install on a dedicated user ).

Reading the Makefile I've found

install: install-addpasswd

install-addpasswd: addpasswd
        $(INSTALL) $(OBJDIR)/addpasswd $(INSTALLBIN_DIR)
<<<

If i do 'make INSTALLBIN_DIR=$HOME/bin install' it installs

searching for the definitions I think main install is inherited from
ptlib's common.mak
via openh233u.mak, in it I've found..

ptlib-2.8.2/make/common.mak
197-ifndef INSTALL_OVERRIDE
198-
199-install:	$(TARGET)
200:	$(INSTALL) $(TARGET) $(INSTALLBIN_DIR)
201-endif
202-
203-# ifdef PROG
<<<

But searching for INSTALL_BIN_DIR definitions I've found:

ptlib-2.8.2/make/unix.mak
588-INSTALL_DIR	= ${PREFIX}
589-endif
590-
591:ifndef INSTALLBIN_DIR
592:INSTALLBIN_DIR	= $(INSTALL_DIR)/bin
593-endif
594-
595-ifndef INSTALLLIB_DIR
<<<

Here I'm not sure how to follow. I'm investigating why --prefix does
not propagate to install, but
I think it maybe worthless to point it out.

I'll keep investigating.

Regards.
    Francisco Olarte.

Make an app they can't live without