Re: dnsapi.dll error when lauching gnugk executable on Win 2000 SP4 - known issue?

I think you got this message (as well as I did) :

"The procedure entry point  DnsFree could not be located in the dynamic link
library DNSAPI.dll"

It means that GnuGk v2.3.1 uses newer version of DNSAPI.dll (for WinXP and
up) than the one we have for Win2000 (SP4).
It's a very sad news - it means that:
 GNUGK v2.3.0 IS THE LAST VERSION COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 2000 (SP4).
:(((

See also this:
"DnsFree Function
The DnsFree function frees memory allocated for DNS records that was
obtained using the DnsQuery function.
[...]
Requirements:
Minimum supported client        Windows XP               (!!!)
Minimum supported server       Windows Server 2003 (!!!)
Header                                    Windns.h
Library                                     Dnsapi.lib
[...]"
from here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682011(VS.85).aspx

From: pierlu <pierlu@xxxxx> - 2010-03-16 13:53
Attachments: HTML-Email.html

Hi all.

I'm trying to upgrade from gnugk 2.3.0 to gnugk 2.3.1 on a Windows 2000 SP4
machine (mostly to be able to log enpoint registration/unregistration using
a mysql db).

gnugk 2.3.0 works fine (executable version) while, when launching 2.3.1, a
pop-up is displayed (in italian, so i guess it's the OS which is "speaking")
on which a message is shown telling that the entry point for dnsapi.dll is
missed (i'm citing by memory).

The dnsapi.dll is present on the computer, so I wanted to ask if this is a
known issue before investigating further on the matter.

I did not compile the source code, i used the downloaded executables from
sourceforge (both 2.3.0 which is working and 2.3.1 which is not).

Thanks for any help.

Best regards, pierlu.

Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev