Re: My first H.323 Zone

Thanks Brian!

Here are the answers to your questions:

By "ADSL router" do you mean that your ADSL modem is acting as a
firewall/NAT router, supplying private IP addresses to your internal
H.323 endpoints and your ISP is assigning you only one external public
IP address (assigned to your router)?

Yes, absolutely. My ISP gives me one public IP, and each machine on the network has an address of 192.168.1.x

If that is the case, do you have administrative access to your router in
order to possibly implement a dynamic DNS setup and/or create inbound
TCP port mappings?

Yes, and infact I already have a no-ip setup.
No port mappings done yet.

Also, are the external endpoints that you're trying to call out to and
receive calls from part of another different gatekeeper zone or simply
independent standalone endpoints (unassociated with a gatekeeper)? And
finally, do those external endpoint(s) and/or external gatekeeper(s)
each have their own public IP address or are they private/hidden behind
another NAT router?

I hope to dial out to the Tandberg test service (EMEA) on 194.0.215.40
Or VTC Test http://vtctest.pointsofdata.com/
The VTC test can call you back, in theory.
I believe these are standalones.

I would then move on to private hidden IP gateway'd endpoints!

Cheers!

Simon

2009/11/29 Brian Thompson <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Simon Taylor wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> There are a couple of things I'd like to do with gnugk, and I was
> wondering if you knowledgeable  people here could help me / point me
> in the right direction / tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree!
>
> So network is like this:
>
> 4 port ADSL router, with dynamic IP from ISP.
> |               |              |
> |               |             Windows Machine 1 running Polycom PVX or
> Pacphone
> |               |
> |               Windows Machine 2 running Polycom PVX or PacPhone
> |
> Ubuntu 9.04 server running gnugk (from apt-get install gnugk)
>
> I would like to be able to:
> a) Make h.323 calls from Windows Machine 1 to Windows Machine 2 by
> extension number (1001, 1002)
> b) Make h.323 calls to external endpoints whilst connected to gnugk
> c) Receive h.323 calls on either from external endpoints, perhaps by
> 1001/2@xxxxxxx
>
> At present I am able to do a).
> I can also make external calls whilst unregistered from the GK.
> I am unable to receive calls.
> I hope to write any advice up into a guide for like-minded newbies!
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
> Thanks!
>
> Simon Taylor CTS,
> AV Tech
> London, UK
Hi Simon,

A few more questions -

By "ADSL router" do you mean that your ADSL modem is acting as a
firewall/NAT router, supplying private IP addresses to your internal
H.323 endpoints and your ISP is assigning you only one external public
IP address (assigned to your router)?

If that is the case, do you have administrative access to your router in
order to possibly implement a dynamic DNS setup and/or create inbound
TCP port mappings?

Also, are the external endpoints that you're trying to call out to and
receive calls from part of another different gatekeeper zone or simply
independent standalone endpoints (unassociated with a gatekeeper)? And
finally, do those external endpoint(s) and/or external gatekeeper(s)
each have their own public IP address or are they private/hidden behind
another NAT router?

There are quite a few much more knowledgeable H.323 folks on this
mailing list, but I've run into some of those same issues in the past
and would be glad to share what did and didn't work out here to resolve
those issues.

-Brian