2 problems compiling from CVS

Hi,

I tried for the first time to compile from cvs and ran into
2 problems.  I had installed Debian 5.03 stable Lenny, but
added unstable SID repository to give me the newest packages.
Wanted to see how Lenny compares to Ubuntu jaunty.

Using http://www.gnugk.org/compile-cvs.html

everything went fine until

$ cd h323plus
$ export OPENH323DIR=~/h323plus
$ ./configure
$ make optnoshared

Get and compile GnuGk:
$ cvs
-d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/openh323gk
login (just press enter when prompted for password)

$ cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/openh323gk
co -P openh323gk

$ cd openh323gk
here a problem arrived.  This is the log:

earl@mini-9-el:~/ptlib/h323plus/openh323gk$ ./configure --enable-h46018
--enable-h46023
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking if MSG_NOSIGNAL is supported by recv call... checking for
gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
no
checking for /home/earl/ptlib/make/unix.mak... yes
checking for ptlib-config... /home/earl/ptlib/make/ptlib-config
PWLib prefix set to /home/earl/ptlib
PTLib version is 2.7.1
Cannot find OpenH323 - please install or set OPENH323DIR and try again

the process stops, so I look with file manager at directory structure
and try:

earl@mini-9-el:~/ptlib/h323plus/openh323gk$
export OPENH323DIR=~/ptlib/h323plus

and this works since

earl@mini-9-el:~/ptlib/h323plus/openh323gk$
./configure --enable-h46018 --enable-h46023
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking if MSG_NOSIGNAL is supported by recv call... checking for
gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
no
checking for /home/earl/ptlib/make/unix.mak... yes
checking for ptlib-config... /home/earl/ptlib/make/ptlib-config
PWLib prefix set to /home/earl/ptlib
PTLib version is 2.7.1
checking for /home/earl/ptlib/h323plus/openh323u.mak... yes
OpenH323 prefix set to /home/earl/ptlib/h323plus
checking for /home/earl/ptlib/h323plus/version.h... yes
OpenH323 version is 1.22.0
H.460.18 / H.460.19 support enabled
H.460.23 / H.460.24 support enabled
RADIUS support enabled
LARGE FDSET support disabled
checking for compress in -lz... no
checking for mysql.h... no
configure: WARNING: mysql headers not found. Use
--with-mysql-include-dir=<path>
configure: WARNING: MySQL disabled
MySQL support disabled
checking for libpq-fe.h... no
configure: WARNING: pgsql headers not found. Use
--with-pgsql-include-dir=<path>
configure: WARNING: PostgreSQL disabled
PostgreSQL support disabled
checking for ibase.h... no
configure: WARNING: Firebird headers not found. Use
--with-firebird-include-dir=<path>
configure: WARNING: Firebird disabled
Firebird support disabled
checking for sqlext.h... no
configure: WARNING: unixODBC headers not found. Use
--with-unixodbc-include-dir=<path>
configure: WARNING: unixODBC disabled
unixODBC support disabled
checking for sqlite3.h... no
configure: WARNING: SQLite headers not found. Use
--with-sqlite-include-dir=<path>
configure: WARNING: SQLite disabled
SQLite support disabled
GNU Gatkeeper version is 2.3.1
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating gnugkbuildopts.h

I do not understand why at first "export OPENH323DIR=~/h323plus"
functions OK, but later does not.  Later it must be
"export OPENH323DIR=~/ptlib/h323plus"
File manager shows subdirectory h323plus underneath ~/ptlib
when this problem arrives.

========================

The second problem is once finished with compiling:
GNU Gatkeeper version is 2.3.1
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating gnugkbuildopts.h
earl@mini-9-el:~/ptlib/h323plus/openh323gk$

there is no subdirectory called obj_linux_x86.  I also searched
for gnugk and found a WIN exe, but was never able to find a
linux binary.

What is the exact name of the linux binary?

trying gnugk or ./gnugk in a root window does nothing:
file not found.

Regards, Earl