Dial-plan design to use GnuGK as proxy for IP calls?

Given an environment where other gatekeepers already exist, what's the
best way to have the GnuGK be the default proxy for IP calls?

Our internal environment has Tandberg's VCS as a directory gatekeeper
and remote sites use the gatekeeper functionality that's built-in to our
Codian 3241 ISDN gateways for survivability, so that if the WAN
connection to the VCS is lost the endpoints can still make and take ISDN
calls.

The dial plan on the ISDN gateways is configured so that they're
registering "1" and "011" prefixes, so our users don't need to prepend
their dial string - they just dial the destination as if it were a phone
call when they're using ISDN.

Since I'm having success using the GnuGK as a proxy for internal
endpoints trying to reach external H323 destinations over IP when those
endpoints are registered to the GK, I'd like to make that functionality
available to other systems, but I don't want to have all the endpoints
register to the GnuGK.

Since this is new functionality, I think users would be willing to
prepend a "*" if they're dialing an IP address.

Any pointers on how to accomplish this?