Re: ENUM Support for GNUGK

Simon Horne wrote:

> Response inline.

So, depending on the kind of SRV returned,
GnuGk decides whether to LRQ the returned address,
or attempt CallSignaling on it?

>  >
>  > > preform LRQ for user
>  > > at gk.mysite.com:1719, LCF returns  210.93.x.x:1720 as the signalling
>  > > address of user.
>  > >
>  > ... if the user is locally registered, and if not, LCF may return the
>  > address of a gateway. Sounds like exactly what I asked for.
>  >
>  > > DNS
>  > > no SRV Record so resolve gk.mysite.com to 65.234.x.x
>  > >
>  > > ACF tells EP to call gateway directly at 210.93.x.x:1720
>  >
>  > You mean 210.93.y.y:1720 as gateway (as opposed to 210.93.x.x:1720 which
>  > was the endpoint signaling address further up).
>
> No. Same function can be used for gateway or endpoint, I just have
> incorrectly used the word gateway instead of endpoint.
>
>  >
>  >  > If no DNS SRV
>  > > record available then route to gatekeeper at 123.234.x.x:1720
>  > >
>  > I don't understand this last sentence.
>  > Unless it was meant to replace the previous one and not to complement
>  > it. Both statements assume "no DNS SRV record".
>
> No the first one refers to endpoint registered locally at
> 210.93.x.x:1720 and the second, using DNS (no SRV) to resolve the
> gatekeeper address and route the signalling through the call signal
> address of the gatekeeper at 123.234.x.x:1720.  Sorry for the confusion

If the ENUM lookup returns user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (65.234.x.x)
and no SRV records exist, then DNS resolution will merely return
user@xxxxxxxxxx so the a call will be attempted on the signaling address
of 65.234.x.x.

I don't see how 123.234.x.x:1720 comes into play, when no SRV records
exist and no LRQs are exchanged with the gatekeeper.
Or is it that the call to user@xxxxxxxxxx:1720 (GnuGk in proxy mode)
will require resolution of target address "user" and trigger call to
123.234.x.x:1720 ?

Sorry, I am confused about the role of this second gatekeeper (123.234.x.x).
>  >
>  > > So to fully answer you question
>  > >
>  > > [RoutingPolicy]
>  > > default=enum,srv,dns
>  > > (with the CVS version of GnuGk compiled with DNS support in pwlib)
>  > >
>  > Is there a reason for the DNS method to always follow the ENUM method?
>  > If the ENUM lookup always returns explicit addresses,
>  > e.g. 12345678@xxxxxxxxxx:1720 <mailto:12345678@xxxxxxxxxx:1720>
>  > do we need to append the DNS method?
>  > I tried to get this to work without dns, but with no success.
>
> I think you might of highlighted an issue in the routing. In theory no
> it does not require DNS however as it is the form user@address it may
> need to use the DNS routing policy to resolve. This might need to be
> addressed.

I see.
I have tried to use ENUM records with IP addresses returned and

[RoutingPolicy]
default=enum,explicit

but with no success. It seems "dns" is always required after a ENUM lookup.
>  >
>  > Semantically, the DNS method is a little different than all the other
>  > routing methods. Once other methods are matched, address resolution
>  > stops. But the DNS method is applied even after a previously successful
>  > routing step. So it has to follow any other method that may return
>  > non-explicit addresses for the call to proceed. Correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> Additional note: There is a major security risk in using ENUM and LRQ's
> (SRV records) to resolve an endpoint/gateway address, as the gatekeeper
> may need to receive a LRQ from a gatekeeper which is not predefined as a
> neighbor in the routing policy.

You mean:
EP -> [Gnugk-A] -> ENUM -> LRQ some non-neighbour [GnuGK-B]
So GnuGk-A needs to be able to accept an LRQ from GnuGk-B,
even though GnuGk-A may not be listed in GnuGk-B as a neighbour?
Absolutely. If the admin of GnuGk-B has ENUM/SRV records pointing to it,
he is probably aware that he may also receive LRQs from non-neighbours.

> I have redressed that by extending the
> neighbor policy to accept LRQ from non-neighbors (by default is switched
> off)

"switched off"? My understanding was that it was "hardwired" into the
code, with no way to change it by "config" means.

Excellent! This was a much needed feature in cases of open gatekeeper
peerings (such as the academic Videnet-GDS routing scheme).
We had requested this feature on the list and it seemed that there was
no way to configure GnuGk to serve LRQs from non-neighbours.

We ended up implementing a new gatekeeper class that avoids neighbour
checks, which seems to work, but we should probably discuss how to
submit this as a feature of future GnuGk versions (we would be glad to
offer our "simplistic" solution, if useful to others).
Unless your solution is already part of the CVS.

I am

> and extending the authentication module to cover authentication of
> LRQ's. This function is still experimental.

Great! Would you be willing to share your code?

> Simon

Cheers,
Dimitris Daskopoulos
GRNET/RTS