Re: ENUM Support for GNUGK

Simon,
thank you for your elaborate explanation of the possibilities!
Indeed SRV support opens up a whole new are for routing solutions.

I have a few questions on your example:

Simon Horne wrote:

> Dimitris
>
> I initially contributed the ENUM routing policy to GnuGK and I use it
> regularly with www.e164.org
>
> <http://www.e164.org/>ENUM is only ever designed to resolve the
> signalling address.  It cannot be used to resolve the RAS address for
> placing LRQ's.
> GnuGk does not use port 1720 by default so all ENUM records must point
> to signalling port 1721.
>
> So this is the behaviour in GnuGk v2.2.4
> [RoutingPolicy]
> default=enum,dns
>
> ENUM
> 1 900 123 4567 ---> user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:1721
>
> DNS
> gk.mysite.com: ---> 65.234.x.x:1721
>
> ACF tells EP to call 65.234.x.x:1721.

Perfectly understandable.

> Question:
> Is there a way to do both, i.e. first check if the user is locally
> registered on an ENUM resolved gatekeeper
> and allow the gatekeeper to forward it to the gateway, if the user is
> not locally registered.
> To do this we need to make GnuGk take the ENUM reply and
> resolve it (LRQ) through a gatekeeper service, before attempting the call.
>
> What you need to do is use the SRV policy prior to DNS. SRV policy is
> currently available in the CVS version of GnuGk.
> DNS SRV is covered by H.323 Annex O, these are special DNS addresses
> which indicate the H.323 signal and RAS addresses of a particular domain.
>
> So
> for gk.mysite.com  the DNS records would look like this.
> DNS    65.234.x.x
> Signal Port  (_h323cs_.udp) gk.mysite.com:1721
> RAS Port  (_h323ls_.udp)   gk.mysite.com:1719
>
> Following the logic
> ENUM
> 1 900 123 4567 ---> user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   (note must use 1720 as signal
> port of GK)
>
> SRV*
> *preform SRV query on gk.mysite.com
>
> success:
> Resolve _h323ls_.udp record to gk.mysite.com:1719,

Does the SRV method always return the ras address?
Is the signaling one returned in other cases?

> preform LRQ for user
> at gk.mysite.com:1719, LCF returns  210.93.x.x:1720 as the signalling
> address of user.

... if the user is locally registered, and if not, LCF may return the
address of a gateway. Sounds like exactly what I asked for.

> DNS
> no SRV Record so resolve gk.mysite.com to 65.234.x.x
>
> ACF tells EP to call gateway directly at 210.93.x.x:1720

You mean 210.93.y.y:1720 as gateway (as opposed to 210.93.x.x:1720 which
was the endpoint signaling address further up).

 > If no DNS SRV
> record available then route to gatekeeper at 123.234.x.x:1720

I don't understand this last sentence.
Unless it was meant to replace the previous one and not to complement
it. Both statements assume "no DNS SRV record".

> So to fully answer you question
>
> [RoutingPolicy]
> default=enum,srv,dns
> (with the CVS version of GnuGk compiled with DNS support in pwlib)

Is there a reason for the DNS method to always follow the ENUM method?
If the ENUM lookup always returns explicit addresses,
e.g. 12345678@xxxxxxxxxx:1720
do we need to append the DNS method?
I tried to get this to work without dns, but with no success.

Semantically, the DNS method is a little different than all the other
routing methods. Once other methods are matched, address resolution
stops. But the DNS method is applied even after a previously successful
routing step. So it has to follow any other method that may return
non-explicit addresses for the call to proceed. Correct?

Thanks again for answering with such detail.
Dimitris