Re: About ring tone problem from DSL connection

This problem usually occurs when the client does not
send voice packets when "progress" is received, and
is also behind a NAT.  Many newer DSL modems have routing
capability, and typically act as NAT routers by default.

If your client has an "early media" or similar configuration
option, try turning that on.  Otherwise, you could set up
the router to forward the RTP ports needed by the client.
If you are using a softphone on a single PC connected to the
DSL modem, you may be able to put the modem in bridging mode,
so the PC gets a public IP.  (If you do this, you may need to
set up PPPoE or other login software on the PC.  Also, be
sure that you have a properly configured software firewall.)
A fourth possibility is to have the terminating gateway send
"alerting" rather than "progress", and the client will generate
the ring tone locally.  However, that is not desirable for calls
to the PSTN, because recorded announcements will not be heard.

If your application requires receiving calls as well as making
them, the measures needed to make incoming work will probably
also fix the ring tone problem.

If the above does not help and you post again, please tell us
what IP phone, ATA, or softphone you are using, whether the DSL
modem is configured as a router, whether there is another
NAT device in the path, and what kind of gateway or client is
receiving the call.

--Stewart